Bring back VC while dead.

SLAYER FREAK  Member 26 Sep 22 at 12:16pm
(25 Sep 22 at 6:58pm)Kyle The Killer Wrote: -1
Dead men tell no tales, expect when they call out in team chat, then they do.
Majority of the time, I hear dead bodies making callouts in VC, though if it did come back. There wouldn't be much to stop people from just reporting those people for making callouts while dead.

That is one hell of a Wise words you said right there, Mister Killer
Magnum  Certified Gamemaster VIP 26 Sep 22 at 12:32pm
-1 Clearly we also need to disable being allowed to use text chat while dead as well from this.
(not a joke)
Sevin  Member 26 Sep 22 at 1:42pm
(26 Sep 22 at 12:32pm)Magnum Wrote: -1 Clearly we also need to disable being allowed to use text chat while dead as well from this.
(not a joke)

They would just give the information after they respawn. You would only be delaying it by 10 seconds. What's the point? It would just get in the way talking to your team about other things.
Game Boy likes this post
[DEFN] Aithead  Head Gamemaster VIP 26 Sep 22 at 2:52pm Edited
(26 Sep 22 at 11:37am)Sevin Wrote: They still do. In team text chat, discord, or the moment they respawn. It's accepted and partaken by most of the server. The only thing muting dead players is doing is hiding it from you.

Trying to enforce it opens up a whole new can of worms.
Catching people talking in VC while dead requires video evidence as there is no VC logs. Of course, you can avoid getting caught like this all together by using team text chat, which is what people are already doing. So, at that point the only people who can report them, or even know what they are doing, is their own team, and why would they? And again, discord VCs are untouchable.

Not exactly true. VC logs would require a recording, sure. That ain't hard when every Windows 10 PC has the ability to record straight out of the box. Discord VC may also be untouchable (though no class uses mandatory VC anymore, so it ain't a big deal whatsoever), but text chat being only accessible by one team is completely false. There are text chat logs, and if I see somebody acting sus then I can pretty easily check those.

In regards to having a 10 second delay, yeah. For things that people care about, sure. But the same apathy for the rules that applies to "why even have the restriction" also applies to people making callouts. They just don't care enough to wait 10 seconds and then call it out. Even so, for those things that might actually matter to those people 10 seconds is a long time. As a MACE/SU 10 seconds is enough to leave wherever I was, or for a squad to capture a Point, or for someone with a Command Resource to book it. Plenty of time to make the knowledge invalid before somebody takes notice and tries to use it. (Doesn't make it any less against the rules or annoying to deal with)

It also doesn't matter if you cite your own experience making callouts because I have my own experiences as normal in-game, and with my ULX I can also see logs and I pretty regularly look at them after I do the wacky stuff that people like to metagame, so I know for a fact that people make those callouts and it's very possible for me to murder them. Which, I guess i'll start doing more frequently considering it appears that metagame is neglected in value as a concept.

Last bit cuz I just noticed; If you're trying to have a conversation with your teammates you should probably not be actively in combat? Like, it's kinda your own fault if you engage in the distinctly non-social experience of shooting at people and then are unable to carry the tune when you inevitably die.
Sevin  Member 26 Sep 22 at 4:55pm
People regularly callout the HP of OSS/EOD and the class of SU when they die to them. It is widely accepted, and I'd wager more than half the server doesn't even know it's a rule.
My point is please do a server announcement or give out some verbal warnings before you start enforcing it.

Personally, I don't think it should be a thing. It disincentivizes teamwork and I think it's a waste of time to enforce.
Bel1ve.  VIP 26 Sep 22 at 4:56pm
(26 Sep 22 at 4:55pm)Sevin Wrote: People regularly callout the HP of OSS/EOD and the class of SU when they die to them. It is widely accepted, and I'd wager more than half the server doesn't even know it's a rule.
My point is please do a server announcement or give out some verbal warnings before you start enforcing it.

Personally, I don't think it should be a thing. It disincentivizes teamwork and I think it's a waste of time to enforce.

:nerd:

But, but sir, it is against the rules so you will be warned if you do so!
[DEFN] Aithead  Head Gamemaster VIP 26 Sep 22 at 6:23pm Edited
(26 Sep 22 at 3:09pm)Bel1ve. Wrote: reaper uses mandatory VC

I stand corrected.

(26 Sep 22 at 4:55pm)Sevin Wrote: People regularly callout the HP of OSS/EOD and the class of SU when they die to them. It is widely accepted, and I'd wager more than half the server doesn't even know it's a rule.

Perhaps.

In terms of teamwork, barely. But i'm sure you as a JURY have had times where somebody's called out a captive post-death (or called out BEING captured post-comms-strip, which falls under a similar category), and that also falls under the same category as every other form of call-out post death. I know i've seen MACE/SUs take advantage of that.

So perhaps it vaguely encourages teamwork as it lets teammates react to things they shouldn't know about, but it also contradicts any concept of, say, functionality in information processing. No need to scout or think about anything if all you need to do is send a single individual towards the enemy and have them call everything out after they die.

(Before I forget, having a "conversation" isn't the same thing as "teamwork". One implies chatty unrelated drivel while the other indicates actual combined efforts to accomplish something)
Sevin  Member 26 Sep 22 at 6:55pm Edited
I'm honestly okay with dead rebels calling out that I capped someone. If my cap is giving callouts after I striped them, that's a different story.

And you can't make a plain and coordinate if no one knows what's going on. Thats what I meant when I said it gets in the way of teamwork.
People just die too quickly to give callouts. Take an encounter with an LA. You either A: die instantly or B: deal with the problem there and then. Sure, you could try to disengage (if you're lucky) and type out a callout before reengaging or running the fuck away, but that takes time.
Having to disengage every fight, to then type out a callout just in case you die, to then re-engage only to deal with the problem, then having to stop again to type "never mind", just slows down game. But that's what players would need to do for good teamwork.
The respawn timer is the only good place for players to give callouts, as it's the only time when doing so doesn't pause your enjoyment of the game.

Being able to give callouts when dead also acts as an automatic balancing system as the more a team that gets killed, the more information they get.
  • 18 participants