Removal of day/night cycle (again) + some weather ideas

Chad The Impaler  VIP 31 Jul 22 at 5:40pm
I like the weather and day/night cycles it’s grown on me and it looks better than it did when it first came out with some changes sentinel made
Alma Armas  VIP 31 Jul 22 at 6:13pm
CvR gets company of heroes weather system, slowing unit movements and slowly freezing players
Terry  Member 31 Jul 22 at 6:37pm
-1 that like removing Lamb sauce from a lamb dish
\
TheRedSky  Affairs Counselor Member VIP 31 Jul 22 at 11:17pm
Edited the suggested effect for radiation since i thought of something better.

I'm actually seeing some divided opinion but let me be clear, I just think that current day/night cycle doesn't quite work because some maps just aren't built with that kind of lighting in mind.
Take for example stalker. It's normally a very orange map which is brightly lit basically everywhere, but with the day and night cycle you're left with a more desaturated landscape with a more miss-matched lighting during the night, and depending on your graphics quality the sky itself can turn into a low resolution jpg. There are specifics I won't delve into and I'm aware it can't be changed as source lighting is baked into the map which is why I'm an advocate of disabling the cycle.

Secondly someone pointed out that they don't want weather effects to effect the gameplay too much. I do agree but weather that effects gameplay directly is rather rare (hvy fog, radiation). I'm more highlighting how some effects could be changed or how the weather system could be expanded upon. It was pointed out in another post that weather could push to be more map specific; if its possible I would love to see some more of that for the future.
  • 13 participants